Monday, June 2, 2008

Say It Ain't So!


As many of you may or may not know, I (Newt Lynn) am leaving the Raven at the end of the week. Fear not, I tell you. Change is in the air, but it is all for the better. I've loved being a part of The Raven from its conceptualization to the present, and will remain with you into the future. How? Well, first let me start by telling you where I am headed. I will be starting graduate school at Tulane this fall....That means....New Orleans. The stars just lined up in such a way, and so I go. However, aside from daily in-house operations, which will be turned over to a new management team, I will continue with all of the work I do behind the scenes. That means you will still be getting the weekly e-mail from me, and I will continue booking music and designing ads. Only thing is, I won't be in town to get all of your input, so I'm hoping you will take the time to e-mail me (newt@ravencafe.com). Let me know what you are thinking about music and entertainment, and keep me apprised of anyone you would like to see booked. I'll be making the occasional appearance, and you'll know when I am coming to town, so if I don't get to see you this week, we will still have an opportunity to connect. Okay, that's enough about that. There's plenty of other stuff happening this week.

Monday: Pizza, Pitcher and a Picture night continues. Ty has been holding us on the edge of our seats with this weeks pick. He promises it will be a top classic. I'm guessing 1980's. Maybe "Spies Like Us", "Caddy Shack". Chevy Chase? Bill Murray? There are obvious hints at what I'm hoping for. Let's see if I guessed it right. 8pm

Tuesday: It's a going away party. Ben, Beth and I are all leaving together this weekend. Tony is putting together a Southern-Creole-Cajun-Soul menu as a way of sending us off in style. We hope you can come down, hang out, eat some great food, and visit. This is also a great way to gauge how Tony is going to do for you regarding Southern cooking. He's from Nebraska, but he's got spirit, he's a great chef, and we've known each other long enough to have had some serious meals together. Dave Manning will be on the Old Upright, and we will be around all evening. Hope to see you there. 7pm

Wednesday: Verde Watershed Wednesday. Education and Information was never put forth with such an eye toward entertainment, fun, and great atmosphere. 8pm

Thursday: Jonathon Best, Matt LaVoire and Jesse Pursley perform as Jigabe. It's like an old-time medicine show performed by the alien band in "Return of the Jedi." 8pm

Friday: A very special night of music. The local JNG Band will make their first appearance at The Raven. Then, from Phoenix and Chicago, Michael Krassner will be on hand for a rare solo performance. Krassner is best know for his work with The Lofty Pillars and Boxhead Ensemble, which may not mean much to you save the stellar group of musicians he put together for both of these groups (Jim O'Rourke from Sonic Youth, members of Dirty Three, Jeff Tweedy of Wilco, Will Oldham aka Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Edith Frost, several members of Tortoise, David Grubbs of Gastr Del Sol, and Ken Vandermark). You may not know all of those names, but you've probably heard of at least one, and if not, know this...These folks are the whose who in the world of progressive music today. Following Michael Krassner, Try Me Bicycle, a new group he is producing and promoting will be performing. Imagine a dreamy, contemplative and stripped down version of Calexico. We are definitely looking forward to this show.

Saturday: O. Allen Huddleston's "Evolving Art Show" comes to a close. Details are still in the wings, but I hear rumors of a couple of DJ's coming up from Phoenix for a dance party. Will let you know more when I know.

Don't Forget Lunch and Brunch at the Raven. Shaina has taken our lunch, brunch, and daily specials to a new level. If you are looking for the perfect place to meet a friend, have a meeting, or just relax for a bit...It's all about the Raven in the afternoon.

Your Album Of The Week: Eddie Bo "The Hook and Sling" ... Listen to it and fondly think of me...It will be your next favorite.

Until Again

Raven

No comments: